Re-Delta State Contributory Health Scheme, Now An Engine Of Fraud – Delta APC
Our attention has been drawn to the jaundiced article with the above caption signed by one Sylvester Imonina, the state Publicity Secretary of All Progressive Congress (APC), which was circulated on some social media platforms.
It is not our intention to dignify the amateurish and baseless report but deem it necessary to set the records straight and correct the lies inherent in the ill conceived report which to some extent was a mischievous attempt to cause disharmony and disaffection between the State Government workforce and the Government under the able leadership of His Excellency, Sen. Dr. Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa, the Governor of Delta State, an administration which is transparent and accountable to the people.
First, it is on record that the Delta State Contributory Health Commission (DSCHC) was established in 2016 after going through all parliamentary protocol at a Bipartisan DTHA and signed into Law by the Governor.
- That there was an extensive consultation with all stakeholders including the Labour Unions before commencement of the Scheme.
- That the Delta State Contributory Health Scheme is a mandatory health Insurance Scheme for all residents of Delta State including all workers as stated in the Law and this is the same status for National Health Insurance Schemes (NHIS) been implemented at the national level by APC led Federal Government of Nigeria.
- That the percentage deduction as also applied to the NHIS, was agreed and signed with all Labour Unions before commencement.
- That the amount deducted is not equivalent to cost of accessing treatment. But equivalent to a deposit towards healthcare services when needed.
- That all enrollees of the Scheme are not all expected to need the healthcare service at the same time. All workers are not expected to get sick at the same time. Those who need treated are attended to at all health facility they are captured. Note that a viable health Insurance Scheme should have an average of 20-30% utilization rate.
- That the non-utilized Fund is reserved in the bank and or invested to grow the fund for future use. This is being done by the Delta State Contributory Health Commission (DSCHC).
- That All reserve funds of the Scheme are currently safe and secured in the bank with periodic internal and external audit to ensure accountability.
- That all workers in Delta State including all Political Office holders were registered into the Scheme from the State Payroll Records. The workers were all informed through a Circular from the State Government to validate and update their records at the DSCHC office and obtain a DSCHC Identity Card that is used to identify the worker at the hospital they choose to attend for healthcare services. .
- That this is a standard process in all Health Insurance Programs all over the world even at the NHIS run by APC led Federal Government
- That the above activity has been ongoing since August 2017 and a lot of workers and their families have obtained their DSCHC Identity Card and are receiving healthcare services when they need it with the Identity Card.
- That some workers however, have not adhered to the Government Circular instruction to obtain their DSCHC Identity Card which is required to access healthcare when needed.
- That there are 26 DSCHC enrollee records validation and identity card collection stations in Delta State. One at the DSCHC Head office at Asaba and one at each LGA Headquarters DSCHC Liaison office. Adhoc Registration. Validation Centers were also located at the Secretariat Buildings at Asaba for a period of 1 year to ease logistics requirement for workers during working hours. The validation and Identity Card process takes approximately just 5mins.
- That out of the 55,014 Workers on the DSCHC database, only 36,672 have collected their DSCHC Identity Cards.
It is also on record:
- That the Delta State Contributory Health Scheme is currently recognized as the best health Insurance program in Nigeria. Most of the Scheme processes are currently being adopted as a standard for the entire country. WHO, UNICEF, World Bank, Members of the National Assembly, Members of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Policy Kuru amongst others have all visited the Commission on a Study Tour and acclaimed the Scheme as the best in the country. UNICEF and WHO are now sponsoring other States in Nigeria for a Study Tour to learn the DSCHC operation processes for adoption in their State.
- That the Commission has won an award of Performance and Excellence for every year since it commences operation. Most notable is the Excellence Award from the Federal Government/World Bank in 2018 that was presented by the Vice President Prof Yemi Osibanjo himself.
- That there will always be initial challenges for a program that is novel. We have worked hard to ensure we overcome those challenges to continue to deliver quality service to all enrollees of the Scheme in a prudent and best process that meets world best practice and standard ,
- Finally that the DSCHC management wish to reconfirm that all funds of the Commission are safe, secured and judiciously used for the services as stated in the Law establishing the DSCHC. The accounts of the DSCHC are audited by External Auditors yearly and its activities are scrutinized closely by representatives of the Labour Unions.
Dr. Michael Nwoko
Senior Special Assistant to the Governor of Delta State
28th September, 2020.